I’ve had a life long love affair with french fries. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and delicious all the way around, I pretty much consider fries the main attraction of the meal. Obviously, the problem with fries is…they are fried. Frying is a cooking method I steer clear of in my own kitchen and, outside of a really rare treat – like Fish and Chips if I’m visiting the UK where my husband is from, or a fried Oreo at a county fair – I don’t eat deep fried foods.
Just because I no longer eat fried foods, doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy fries. However, I have had to experiment with a few different methods to get really good oven baked fries. The problem with baking fries is that they often come out limp and lack any bite. If you use this method you will get fries that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and go great with good old ketchup or your dipping sauce of choice. Comment below if you give this method a try and let me know what you think!
You will need:
- A sheet pan
- A wire baking rack
- 3 medium sized russet potatoes, washed, thoroughly dried, and cut into sticks or wedges
- Cooking spray
- 1&1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spray wire rack with cooking spray and set on top of baking sheet
- Place rack on sheet pan and put it into preheated oven on the top rack
- Wash and thoroughly dry potatoes (this is important so that they olive oil coats them)
- In a bowl, cut potatoes into sticks or chunky wedges and add olive oil, toss until all pieces are coated in oil
- Very carefully remove hot pan from oven (caution: it will be SUPER hot to the touch!) place it on a heatsafe, flat surface and line the fries on the wire rack, without any of them touching
- Bake on top rack for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake another 20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and toss and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Info | Makes 4 servings
170 calories, 5.5g fat, .75g sat fat,1.5g sugar, 27.75g carbs, 3g fiber, 3.5g protein
5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints™
5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus™