If you like stuffed peppers, this recipe is a simple and delicious way to make them. Just a few ingredients, with warm spices all mixed together and spooned into fresh bell peppers for a meal everyone will rave about!
- 4 medium bell peppers (I like using red peppers)
- 1 cup of quinoa, cooked (cook in chicken broth for added flavor)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup of canned diced tomatoes in sauce (about half of a 14 ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- A few pinches of pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional for heat, as desired)
- 1/2 cup of light shredded cheese (I like using Mexican style cheese)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
Prepare the peppers by washing and drying them thoroughly and then very carefully cutting around the top of each pepper to remove the top around the stem. Scoop any seeds and pith out of the inside of each pepper to prepare them for the filling, and then set aside.
In a saucepan, cook quinoa to directions, remove from heat and set aside.
In a skillet coated with some cooking spray, saute onions until transparent. Add garlic for a minute or two to cook and then add to saucepan with quinoa and set aside.
In the same skillet, add a bit more cooking spray and saute chicken until cooked. Add chicken to saucepan along with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Over low heat, stir to incorporate ingredients and allow any extra fluid from tomatoes to cook out, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes, remove from heat and fold in cheese.
Place peppers in baking dish and scoop mixture evenly between peppers and top with stem.
Spray the outside of the peppers with a little cooking spray before placing into the oven on the middle rack to cook for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow peppers to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information | Makes 4 servings, 1 pepper each
225 calories, 4g fat, 27g carbs, 4.75g fiber, 22g protein
6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving