Have you ever tried the deliciously wonderful thing that is cookie butter (speculoos)? Once when I was shopping at Trader Joe’s I picked up a jar of this yummy spread that tastes like ground up warm buttery cookies with a little cinnamon and spice.
A few months back, I threw some ingredients together to make cookie butter cookies which were so delicious. Lately, I’ve been baking a little less because it makes avoiding the temptation I have for sweet things during my pregnancy a little easier but these cookie bars make a great treat for those days when you just want something sweet.
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered peanut butter (like PB2)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of flour (I used oat flour which also makes this gluten free)
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, I prefer mini chips for more chocolate distribution 🙂
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a square 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix until you get a cookie dough like consistency. Drop into baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle chips over the top and press them into the dough. Bake for 15 minutes and remove. Allow to set for at least 2 hours before cutting as bars will be quite soft. I like to make them the night before serving and you can even pop them in the fridge to help them really set.
Nutrition Info | Makes 12 servings
100 calories, 4.75g fat, 12.6g carbs, 1.6g fiber, 3.6g protein
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving