This is literally a 20 minute dinner!
It combines quinoa and brown rice pasta with rich olive oil, a light citrus kick with some lemon juice, garlic, Italian herbs and a bit of parmesan, for an absolutely simple, healthy and delicious family meal.
- 1 pound of fusilli or rotini pasta (I used a gluten free quinoa and brown rice based fusilli from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 medium summer squash, quartered lengthwise with seeds cut trimmed off
- 4 cups of baby spinach, raw
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Prepare pasta to instructions, drain and set aside.
In a skillet, warm 1 teaspoon of oil and sauté onions, squash and garlic until tender. Set aside.
In same skillet, warm 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add spinach, toss until spinach cooks down and then set on a plate lined with a paper towel to release moisture.
Combine vegetables with pasta and add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt and parmesan. Toss and serve warm.
Nutrition Info | Makes 8 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each)
270 calories, 6.8g fat, 47g carbs, 3.3g fiber, 7g protein
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving