This is a variation on my all-time favorite dish, lasagna!
Like other versions of lasagna, I slash some of the calories and fat by using hummus to replace half of the ricotta cheese and by bulking it up with sautéed veggies.
- Non stick cooking spray
- 1 cup of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded or chopped. I love to use the breast meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup of red wine (optional)
- 9 lasagna pasta sheets (I use the oven ready, no boiling required version)
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup of light pasta sauce, divided (I use Trader Joe’s Pomodoro Rustico pasta sauce, but aim for one that has about 40-50 calories per half cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 cup of part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of hummus
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup of reduced fat shredded cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- A couple pinches of salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 375f.
In a pan coated with cooking spray, sauté chopped onions, pepper and garlic until tender. Add 1 cup of pasta sauce, chicken and wine and mix to combine. Turn off heat and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, hummus, egg white, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, basil, onion powder and salt and pepper.
Spray rectangular baking dish (I used a 9″ x 12″ ceramic dish) with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup of pasta sauce to the bottom of the dish and spread it evenly into a thin layer. Add 3 lasagna sheets. Add half of the chicken mixture and spread evenly over lasagna and then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Add another 3 lasagna sheets. Spoon entire ricotta and hummus mixture over the lasagna and spread in an even layer. Add 3 more lasagna sheets. Top with remaining chicken mixture.
Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Return to oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting into 6 squares.
Nutrition Information| Makes 6 servings
294 calories, 9g fat, 28g carbs, 3g fiber, 24g protein
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving