Who doesn’t love an almond joy? Okay, maybe people with nut allergies, but otherwise, chewy coconut, almonds and chocolate…what’s not to love?
My mom’s favorite candy bar is Almond Joy, but she is also currently on Weight Watchers, so I wanted to make her something special for Mother’s Day that she could totally enjoy that would not get her off track. These brownies are sweet, chocolatey and moist and contain a chewy coconut center and slivered almonds. As my dad is diabetic, I only used stevia extract in this one, if you prefer the taste of sugar, you might use a sweetener blend or sugar and adjust nutrition accordingly, but these are great as a low sugar, clean and delicious brownie!
- 1 15.5 oz. can of black beans, drained, very well rinsed and dried with paper towel
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened fine flaked coconut (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup of flour (I used whole grain oat flour, which you can make by blending or food processing 1 cup of instant oats)
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup of stevia extract or sweetener of choice, (I used pure organic stevia powder). If using a sugar/sweetener blend be sure to convert to appropriate proportions.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of oil (I used coconut)
- 1/2 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
For brownie filling:
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened fine flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of stevia extract powder
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
To top brownies:
- 2 teaspoons of unsweetened fine flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350f. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
To make brownie batter, in a blender combine beans and coconut milk very well. There should be no large pieces of bean skins remaining, combine very well until you get a nice pudding texture.
To the blender, add flaked coconut, flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, egg, oil, and vanilla extract and blend well. Fold in chocolate chips and set aside.
To make coconut filling, in a bowl mix 1/4 cup of unsweetened fine flaked coconut with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of sweetener.
In the muffin pan cups, drop about 2 tablespoons of batter into each cup. Place a well rounded teaspoon of filling on top of the batter in each cup and then top filling in each cup with 1 teaspoon of slivered almonds. Cover filling and almonds with another 2 tablespoons of batter. Finally, top with a sprinkle of coconut and a few mini chocolate chips.
Bake for about 20-22 minutes and allow to cool completely before removing from muffin cups and serving.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 12 servings, 1 brownie each
150 calories, 7.9g fat, 19.8g carbs, 3.6g fiber, 4.8g protein
4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving