This delicious apple crumb cake tastes like old fashioned crumb cakes that you find in mom and pop bakeries and donut shops. It’s moist on the inside, with a delicious crunchy crumb topping, thanks for a sprinkling of brown sugar and chopped pecans. This can be made in a square dish or a loaf pan, for squares or slices (as shown), either way it looks and tastes amazing.
This goes so well with coffee or tea and would be perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert after dinner. Everyone loves it and nobody knows that it’s light.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of sweetener and sugar blend (I used Domino Light Sugar and Stevia blend. If you like a pretty sweet cake, add a few extra packets of no-cal sweetener along with the blend)
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon of oil (I used canola)
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of light sour cream
- 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
For Crumb Topping:
- 2 tablespoons of flour (I used oat flour, but any flour will do. To make oat flour you can grind instant oats to a fine powder using a food processor)
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans
For cinnamon cream cheese glaze:
- 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon of light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of water
Preheat the oven to 350f. Coat a loaf pan or a square baking dish (I used an 8″ x 8″ glass dish) with nonstick cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and sweetener and sugar blend.
Add apple sauce, sour cream, egg whites, vanilla and oil and mix until fully incorporated, but do not overmix.
Pour batter into baking dish.
In another bowl mix crumb topping by combining oat flour, brown sugar, apple sauce, oil, and ground cinnamon. Use hands to sprinkle topping over batter. Sprinkle chopped pecans over crumb topping.
Place dish in the oven and bake for 35-38 minutes.
Prepare cinnamon cream cheese glaze by whisking powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and water together in a bowl until no lumps remain.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before drizzling glaze on top.
Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 square servings.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 12 servings, 1 square each
145 calories, 3g fat, 27g carbs, 4.2g protein, 1.3g fiber
4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving