What you need to have to prepare fabulously healthy meals and snacks
I started out just wanting to have a fun way to stay accountable, share and find meal ideas, and connect with people on a similar journey. I have found all of that, but the overwhelmingly positive response to my recipes has been truly amazing and inspires me to try and be more creative in the kitchen every day.
A couple weeks ago, I launched Light Bites Done Right as a means to share my recipes in a more effective way. I wanted people to be able to print and e-mail the recipes, share them, and provide feedback in one place. It has been so fun to have a space that I can use as a creative outlet for what I love to do.
To celebrate the launch of the blog and say thank you for taking the time to read my posts, make my recipes and like, comment, share, and follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, I wanted to do something special – my first giveaway!
As someone who has been cooking and baking in healthier ways for several years now, there are certain things that I must have on hand at all times. I’ve put together a list of what my essential healthy kitchen ‘must have’ items are, and on May 15, one randomly selected lucky prizewinner will win everything on the list!
Here are the items I use every day in my kitchen that are up for grabs in the Light Bites Must Haves May Giveaway:
- Digital Food Scale | This is an absolutely essential item for any cook, but it is especially important to have one in a healthy kitchen! I use a bowl scale as it allows you to measure liquids and dry ingredients. I use mine every single day for measuring out portions for meals and snacks and for the most precise weighing of ingredients in cooking and baking.
- Silicone Baking Sheet | Non-stick baking at its best. I use this sheet for baking apple chips, cookies, scones, biscuits – you name it. No extra oil or butter is required and no burnt bottoms!
- Parchment Paper | In almost every single recipe I mention parchment paper because it is a light kitchen lifesaver and is so versatile. I use it for nonstick baking by lining baking dishes and the bottom of cake pans and line baking sheets for a superior non-stick surface with no added grease.
- Double Mini Muffin Pan | With the capacity to make 24 mini muffins at a time, this pan is awesome for making larger batches of bite-sized treats in one go. I use mine to make my Apple Cinnamon French Toast Poppers and Bacon, Egg and Cheese Poppers.
- Spring form pans, 2 sizes – 8” and 9” | Spring form pans are a light baker’s best friend. They have a latch on the side that adjusts to loosen the sides of the pan so you get perfectly cooked cakes that don’t crumble to pieces when you try to remove them from the pan with a knife. I give mine a misting of cooking spray and my cakes release in perfect shape without any added grease or fat.
- Silicone spatula | These are absolutely essential for getting every last bit of batter or mix (and hello, chocolate!) out of your mixing bowls and measuring cups. When you are watching the waistline, every bit of batter matters! I think I might copyright that phrase, but it’s so true! 🙂 These spatulas make it easy to scrape every last bit of batter or mix, and also to even them out in dishes and pans and spread them beautifully. I also threw in a silicone pot grabber too, which is great!
- Coconut Oil Cooking Spray | The best for versatile cooking and baking. It works well at medium and high heat so you can cook and bake without burning things and it is superior as a nonstick spray. I use it every day and for pretty much everything and I always have a back-up can just in case. Coconut oil hardens in the nozzle sometimes, so if it won’t spray just run the nozzle under warm water for about 15 seconds. I learned this the hard way by throwing out what I thought was a defective can once! 🙂 I spray the dish before adding the ingredients for my Corn Bread Beef Cobbler.
- Mini chocolate chips, Ghirardelli | You may have noticed that whenever I make a recipe that includes chocolate chips, I almost always use mini chips. The reason is, when you are trying to cut down on calories and fat but not taste, the distribution of flavors in a dish is really important. Using mini chips, you are able to get more chocolate distribution for the same calorie and fat content. So I use mini chips to really spread the chocolate love. I like the richness of Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa Bittersweet Mini Chocolate Chips. I used them in my Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Trifle, otherwise known as ‘The’ Pudding.
- Sweetener and Stevia Blend, Truvia | I use this in all of my baking. I, personally, do not like the taste of straight up sweeteners in baking. There are more fancy and “clean” alternatives, but I am on a budget, so this is my happy medium – significantly less calories and carbs than sugar and stevia extract is a natural sweetener. This blend tastes great. I used it in my Low Fat Apple Pecan Crumb Cake.
- Powdered Peanut Butter, PB2 | What can I say about peanut butter that hasn’t already been said?! 🙂 I love peanut butter and while it is a healthy fat, it contains quite a bit of fat for a small amount, so I use the ‘real’ stuff sparingly. Powered peanut butter offers an excellent way to cook and bake with peanut butter flavor, without all of the fat. I used it to make my Light Peanut Butter Cup Cream Pie.
- Light Wraps, Flatoutbread | I love these! They are absolutely versatile and high in protein and fiber. I use the Light Original version most because it is only 90 calories per wrap. I make pizzas, sandwich wraps and even Light Baked Taco Bowls with these. They are just awesome!
How you can enter to win all of the items listed in a prize-pack worth over $100:
- Follow me on Instagram @getting_2_goal
- From Instagram, share the post ‘Light Bites Must Haves May Giveaway’ on your Instagram page
- In the caption, tag me @getting_2_goal and use the hashtag #LightBitesDoneRightBlog
- Finally, list your three health/weight loss/fitness goals for the month of May!
I am so excited to continue working on healthy recipes and am so thankful to each and every one of you for all of your support.
I can’t wait to announce the winner in two weeks!
This giveaway is not endorsed by any company and I purchased all of the items on the list myself. They are brand new, unopened and still in the original packaging and I will ship them within one week of announcing the winner on May 15, 2014.