Lasagna is one of my all time favorite dishes. I make it so many different ways and very often with leftovers.
This recipe uses a cup of my Smoky & Sweet Slow Cooker Chicken, but you can also use a cup of shredded chicken breast for a fabulous result.
This is so incredibly tasty and filling and using mashed butternut squash I significantly cut down on the typical but more fattening and ingredients like ricotta cheese, without sacrificing any of the amazing flavor.
- 12 sheets lasagna (I use the no-boil oven ready type)
- 1 cup of my Smoky & Sweet Slow Cooker Chicken from a previous recipe (or 1 cup of shredded chicken breast)
- 2 cups butternut squash, mashed (I buy the frozen cubes, thaw, roast/microwave, and food process)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup light tomato sauce (I use Trader Joe’s Rustico Pomodoro Pasta Sauce)
- 1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup light shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Preheat the oven to 375f.
Spritz a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and sauté peppers and onions. Set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine mashed squash, ricotta, egg whites, basil and oregano.
In a baking dish (I use a 8″ x 12″ inch ceramic baking dish) spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce across the bottom of the dish. Lay 3 lasagna sheets down over sauce. In another bowl, combine remaining tomato sauce with chicken, and sautéed onions and peppers.
Using a rubber spatula or back of a flat wooden spoon, evenly spread half of the squash and ricotta mixture over first layer of lasagna sheets. Evenly sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over squash.
Add another layer of 3 lasagna sheets. Evenly spread half of the chicken and tomato sauce mix over lasagna layer. Add 3 more sheets of lasagna.
Spread the remaining squash mixture and sprinkle another 1/4 cup of cheese before topping with the last 3 lasagna sheets. Spread the remaining chicken and tomato sauce mixture on top, garnish with a few tomato slices and a sprinkle of basil and oregano and cover with foil.
Bake covered for 35 minutes before removing the foil and sprinkling remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on top. Return to the oven uncovered for about 5 minutes to cook cheese.
Nutrition facts | Makes 6 generous servings
308 cals, 5g fat, 42 carbs, 7g fiber, 22g protein
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving