If there is an International Lasagna Lovers Society, I am really surprised that I am not a card-carrying member. I am pretty sure that lasagna has always been my favorite dish. I also love burgers, smothered in cheese and loaded with sweet and sticky barbecue sauce.
For dinner tonight, I decided to combine two of my favorite dinners into one and this light layered lasagna, complete with a layer of dill pickles with a bit of snap, is absolutely delicious and so very filling.
Everyone will love this one!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 sheets of lasagna (I used Barilla no boil Oven Ready Lasagne)
- 1.2 lbs. of extra lean ground beef, I used 96% lean (you could also do this with soy protein crumbles, turkey, bison, or chicken ground)
- 2/3 cup of all natural barbecue sauce (I used Stubbs Hickory Bourbon BBQ Sauce, which is 40 calories per 2 tablespoons)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 wedge of light spreadable cheese (I used a wedge of The Laughing Cow in Garlic and Herb)
- 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites or 2 cracked egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- About 3 whole dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise (I used Vlasic Stackers Kosher Dill)
Light Bites Done Right Tip! If you prefer, you can also chop the pickles, or use pickle relish for that layer (although relish would add some extra calories) but I really like the snap of a layer of big chunks of sliced pickle.
Preheat the oven to 375f.
Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, sauté onions and garlic until tender. Place in a dish and set aside.
Spray skillet with cooking spray and brown ground beef. Drain fluid from pan and add barbecue sauce, onions and garlic and mix.
In a blender or with a mixing wand or potato masher, combine sweet potatoes with egg whites, spreadable cheese, onion powder, and garlic powder. Fold 1/4 cup of shredded cheese into the sweet potato mixture.
To assemble lasagna in layers:
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the barbecue meat mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add two sheets of lasagna.
- Spread about 1/3 of the sweet potato mixture on top of the lasagna layer.
- Line thinly sliced pickles on top of sweet potato, pressing them slightly into the mixture.
- Top pickles with another 1/3 of the sweet potato mixture.
- Add another layer of two sheets of lasagna.
- Top that layer with 1/2 of the barbecue meat mixture.
- Top meat mixture with remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Add another layer of two lasagna sheets.
- Top with remaining barbecue beef mixture.
Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
Remove, uncover and sprinkle with a few thinly sliced tomatoes and remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes before cutting into 6 even portions with a sharp knife and serving.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 6 servings
295 calories, 7g fat, 32g carbs, 26g protein, 2g fiber
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving