This recipe was inspired by a very fattening (and delicious!) seven layer Mexican dip that my friend Melanie makes for parties. It is so good but, as many good things, it’s not exactly low calorie or point friendly!
I made some adjustments and combined all of the flavors into a classic layered lasagna and the result is delicious and so filling.
Friends and family will really be impressed with this one, as it looks really pretty too!
- 1 9 oz. box of lasagna (I used Barilla no-boiling required type)
- 1 pound of extra lean ground beef (I used 96% lean, you could also use ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 16 oz. can of fat free refried beans
- ¼ cup of liquid egg whites (or two cracked egg whites)
- 1 8 oz. package of Light Shredded Cheese (I used Weight Watchers Mexican Style Blend)
- 4 tablespoons of light cream cheese, softened
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 1 oz. packet of Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of dried cilantro
- 4 tablespoons of chopped green chilies (I used canned8 baked blue corn tortilla chips, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a skillet with a light coating of cooking spray, brown meat, drain off liquid and set aside.
In a skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté chopped peppers and onions until tender. Add chopped garlic and sauté for another 2 or 3 minutes until garlic is tender. Add meat back to the skillet and add canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Mix all ingredients together and set aside meat mixture.
In a mixing bowl, mix refried beans, egg whites, cream cheese, garlic powder, and cilantro very well. Set aside bean mixture.
Place a few spoonful’s of the meat mixture at the bottom of the baking dish and spread it out to provide a little moisture for the first layer of lasagna. Once you’ve placed the first layer of sheets, add half of the bean mixture and then 2/3 cup of shredded cheese. Place another layer of lasagna and then top with half of the remaining meat mixture. Add another 2/3 cup of shredded cheese and another layer of lasagna. Add the remaining bean mixture and another 2/3 cup of cheese. Another layer of lasagna and then the remaining meat mixture. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, carefully remove foil and sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup cheese, green chilies and crumbled tortilla chips. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before enjoying.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 8 Servings
339 calories, 6.5g of fat, 43g carbs, 5.7g fiber, 25.8g protein
8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving