A wonderfully simple treat! There are a few little tricks to getting a crispy shell-like outside with this one.
Coconut oil spray works particularly well as it helps crisp the wrap without burning it.
The result is a dessert that is crispy on the outside and like warm apple pie on the inside and the best part is skipping on the usual deep-fry method means that they are totally guilt-free!
- 1 light wrap (I used a Flatoutbread Light Original)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoon flour (I used whole grain oat flour)
- 1 teaspoon sugar free caramel topping is optional (I used Smuckers)
- 2 packets of sweetener (I used Truvia)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered sugar
- Cooking spray (I used coconut)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, toss diced apple with flour, sweetener and caramel topping. Place the apple mix on one side of the wrap. Tuck in the sides first, and then roll up tightly like a burrito.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly spray wrap with a coating of nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and flip carefully with tongs or spatula.
Spray the other side of wrap with cooking spray and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes or so.
Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Cut in half with sharp knife.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 2 servings, 1/2 empanada
106 cals, 1.5g fat, 26.5g carbs. 6.8g fiber, 5g protein
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving